Friday, April 30, 2021

Richard Nelson, Thank You Just Isn't Enough


The days of late had been dark. Joy was absent. Drowning in doubt, and consumed with anger, hurt could not help but pour out of me. As I sat in a friend’s house, surrounded by brothers who loved me, I finally admitted what my heart had felt for so long – I was mad at God, and I hated the Hell He was allowing my family to walk through, and in all honesty, I wanted nothing more to do with Him.

As I sat at this brother’s house, early one Saturday morning, and shared these things – for the first time admitting where I really had been for many months – friends, led by this Godly brother, surrounded me, and loved me. They walked with me for months as I found my way back to Him. 

Richard Nelson was this brother, and were it not for him, I do not know where I would be today. In the previous years, we had developed a friendship. For months we had passed each other in church, and every time, an invitation was given for me to come to his class and teach. Each time, he would tell me that we all had a story – a testimony – of God to share, that no one else could. 

Finally, I said yes, and he had me teach on Job (of all things – go figure). From that point, I was hooked. We started attending the class, and Bible study, and for me, Saturday morning men’s prayer time. Couples’ retreats, yard sales, and more meals that you could shake a stick at – his home and this group, became part of our family.  

Little did I know the impact this relationship would have on me. He had me teach more, and encouraged me to begin writing, which started with a simple “track”, telling our story of God’s testimony in our lives.

As the years passed, this relationship deepened, and he became a brother I deeply trusted. But the days in my life grew dark as my sister passed away, and then one hardship after another plagued our family – yet through it all, this brother, his family, and others with him, would not let us go. Even when in anger I would push this relationship away, he and others would keep seeking me.

In a time that I was running away from God, my family, my ministry – he was running after me. Most do not know how close I came to leaving everything behind. I almost turned my back on my wife and child. I wanted nothing to do with God and certainly struggled in my ministry as a teacher. Bitter, angry, and hurting, he saw past that, and helped me see past that too. 

There were many hours spent discussing these things, and Him encouraging me to simply trust again and not walk away from all that was important and special in my life. His (and his family’s) care and concern for me and my family, came at a time when we needed it the most. I know the Lord used him to save my family, my ministry, and quite honestly, me. 

This week, I received word that this dear brother is now home with the Lord. No longer suffering, no longer in pain – He is healed and at peace. While this is comforting to know, he is missed, and his loss is felt deeply, and that is because of the impact he had on so many. He truly showed Christ’s love and care for others, and often served quietly in the shadows, mentoring people like me who were lost and hurting. His peaceful and welcoming spirit instantly put you at ease and this enabled me, and I know others, to have an openness with him, that we knew would not bring condemnation, but only love, support, and encouragement. 

He was there for me and our family when we needed it most. Had it not been for Him, I honestly do not know where I would be today. 

Thank you, Richard Nelson, for being God’s hands and feet so many times in my life.

Thank you, as a mentor, for helping me find my way back to my family and my Lord.

Thank you, as a friend, for walking beside me when I pushed all others away.

Thank you, as a teacher, for helping me find my voice in sharing His story.

Thank you, as a brother, for loving me and my family when we needed it the most.

Your care for me has helped me face many “tomorrows” and is a living testimony to many of the love of Christ and how we as the body ought to live. Thank you just is not enough. 

May God bless and comfort your family in these days and remind them of His faithfulness even now. May they remember the good times, and even in sorrow, celebrate who you are and all the sweet memories. 

Well done, good and faithful servant. My life is different because of you. May you rest in peace dear brother.


1 comment:


  1. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,i recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs there help.

    ReplyDelete

"Let It Go" - Why Are You Holding On To That

“Let it go.” – Frozen (every parent’s favorite movie)