Sunday, May 16, 2021

Questions Show Faith And Trust


Why is this happening? Really God, another issue? How am I going to pay this bill? I am so tired of being sick? Where are you, God? Can I just have one easy, quiet day?

Questions, questions, and more questions. That is how many days in life feel. As we are hit with one situation after another, we ask God simply for the “why”. Why do I have another trial? Why am I given another bill I cannot pay? Why is my body faced with other health issues? Why is my family struggling? Why are my kids hurting? Why am I struggling at work? On and on the questions go, as we struggle to find hope, meaning, and strength to continue.

Yet so often, we also feel condemnation in our hearts and spirit by these very same questions. As we ask these questions and struggle with the why we often also beat ourselves up for an apparent lack of faith. But are these questions really a lack of faith? Does simply asking for a reason or seeking purpose, or even expressing frustration, pain, or simple exhaustion mean we do not have faith?

How we have gotten this idea in Christianity I do not know, but the more God grows me on this journey, the more I begin to consider this thought. Are my questions really doubt and a lack of faith, or are these questions part of me seeking God to find purpose, strength, healing, and peace?

In my time as a parent and an educator, one of the most important learning tools for children are questions. Imagine learning and growing without the ability or freedom to ask questions – would learning actually take place? Would a good parent or teacher condemn a child for asking the hard questions, seeking to grow in understanding? How else would learning take place?

Too often, we judge ourselves and others for doing the very thing we encourage our children to do in the learning process. When I stop and question, in many ways, I am seeking to sure up and strengthen my faith. I am going to the one I trust for answers to the very real struggles and hardships I am facing, hoping that He can help me see the truth or purpose I might be missing.


In life, when children have questions, who do they seek answers from – often, it is from those who they trust the most. When I question God, the same is true – why would I seek answers from one whom I could not trust? In some ways, questions show just how deep our faith and trust are, for when we question God, we seek answers from the one whom we know has them. 

As you walk through each day, and the struggles and pain you are faced with, remember, questions do not equal doubt, they simply show who we trust to give the answers we need. And when He gives us an answer – no matter what it is – we must continue to have faith that His answers are perfect and what we need. True faith is not afraid to ask questions, and not afraid to trust the answers that are given. 

Questions and answers are how we learn and grow, and who we go to show where our faith and trust rests. Our God is big enough to handle anything we ask and is not afraid of questions, and our faith must not be afraid of the answers He gives us. If we trust Him enough to ask the question, we can trust His answer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Let It Go" - Why Are You Holding On To That

“Let it go.” – Frozen (every parent’s favorite movie)