Saturday, July 18, 2020

Content, Whatever Lot I See

Lord, I would clasp Thy hand in mine,

Nor ever murmur or repine;
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since it is Thou that leadest me.

-from the hymn “He Leadeth Me, Oh Blessed Thought”

 

“Content, whatever lot I see;” that has been a hard pill to swallow this year. “Content, whatever…” Really God, whatever? One of my favorite pastors to listen to is Adrian Rogers. I often listen to his messages, but there are three in particular that I review a few times a year because of how they speak to me. Every time, I find something new, or I am given a reminder to help me on this journey. As I listened today, he shared the quote above and it hit me right between the eyes.

 

These last two years, I have needed this reminder more than ever. It has seemed as if we have been hit with one thing after another. I thought hearing those 4 little words was as bad as it would get, but that rug has been pulled out from under us so many times that the floor has carpet burns. It seems this year I have spent more time on my back on the floor looking up than I have standing up.

 

Just as soon as we start to stand – wham – we are down for the count again. Yesterday, we put our car in the shop for a third time in a month and are looking at a $1,200 bill (after already spending $1,000 3 weeks ago). Kimberly is still struggling to recover from knee surgery, and managed to injure the other knee (we are now the proud owners of a $1,000 brace). Doctor’s bills, problems, stress, work issues, and … the list goes on, all adding up to pressure, exhaustion, discouragement, and frustration – how in the world am I to be content?

 

“Content, whatever lot I see…”. Really, Lord, I need to be content even in this “stuff”? This is the hard part. When things are going well, it is easy to be content, but HE really wants me to be content in this stuff? Another verse in the song says:

 

Sometimes ’mid scenes of deepest gloom,

Sometimes where Eden’s bowers bloom,

By waters still, o’er troubled sea,

Still ’tis His hand that leadeth me.

 

In deepest gloom or in Eden’s bloom – in trouble or in peace - I need to remember that He is leading me. Sometimes we feel like if we are having trouble, that means He is no longer leading us or that we are out of His will. Sometimes, though, He leads us through struggle or hardship, and in those moments, contentment and faith are hard to come by. It is hard to be content with something we do not like. It is hard to be a peace in our frustration, heartache, and stress. Yet even in these places, He is still with us, and He is leading us, if we will allow Him too.

 

Paul said it like this, “…for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.” (Philippians 4:11-12, NIV) You see, He, is the secret of being content.

 

Too often, we find (or try to find) our contentment, peace, and joy in our circumstances. We look for these things in our job, our family, our hobbies, our “stuff”, but most of the times, these things are anything but that. Most of the time, these are our greatest sources of stress, frustration, and worry. In these we have problem after problem and contentment continues to be elusive.

 

Paul learned that his contentment was in the Lord. He kept his focus on HIM, and when he did, he was content. When he focused on the stuff around him, contentment was elusive, because all he could see was the struggles and problems.

 

It is easy for these things to cloud our view, and even easier for them to steal our contentment and joy. It is easy to focus on these struggles, and when we do, doubt, worry, frustration, complaining, and so many other things fill our hearts and daily walks. If instead, I choose to focus on HIM, it many times will not change my circumstances, but it will change my perspective. Instead of seeing struggles, I see HIM. In focusing on HIM, I am reminded of HIS promises, provision, and plan and that brings me peace and strength.

 

When I find myself stressed and frustrated, it is usually because I have taken my eyes off of HIM, and on this path I now walk daily, it is more essential than ever that I keep the right focus and perspective. May these words truly be the testimony we live:

 

He leadeth me! O blessed thought,

O words with heav’nly comfort fraught;

Whate’er I do, where’er I be,

Still ’tis Christ’s hand that leadeth me.

 

He leadeth me! He leadeth me!

By His own hand He leadeth me;

His faithful follower I would be,

For by His hand He leadeth me.

 

No matter where I find myself, I must remember, HE leadeth me, by HIS own hand HE leadeth me. When I remember that, I truly can be content in whatever circumstance I find myself. It does not mean my problems and struggles disappear, it simply means I have decided that it will not consumer my focus. Where is your focus? What is consuming your vision? Even in the midst of struggles, may it be HIM.

1 comment:

  1. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,i recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs there help.

    ReplyDelete

"Let It Go" - Why Are You Holding On To That

“Let it go.” – Frozen (every parent’s favorite movie)