Thursday, June 18, 2020

The Anniversary I Never Wanted

Life is full of momentous events. We mark dates on the calendar to celebrate happy occasions – weddings, births, graduations – days set aside to celebrate those milestones in life. Today is one of those days for me. It is a day of remembrance of a life changing event. A day reminding me of something that forever changed my future. The “Anniversary” that I never wanted.


 

Anniversaries are often thought of as special times celebrating joyous and happy times. But happy anniversaries are not the only anniversaries. Many times, the anniversaries also mark great times of loss and pain – days that changed the world we knew. Today, exactly one year ago, I heard those 4 little words.

 

We had spent almost 3 years trying to determine what was wrong. Doctor after doctor told us everything was “normal”. We daily saw my decline, and no explanations were present.  There were times I thought I was just going crazy, yet in my heart, I knew something was wrong, even if others could not give me answers.

 

One year ago today, I sat with my fourth Neurologist, after he had spent over an hour examining me, he looked at me and simply said, “You have Parkinson’s Disease.” No fanfare or great announcement, just a simple, quiet statement. After years of searching, I had my answer, just not the answer I wanted – but honestly, I’m not sure what I wanted to hear, I just knew I could not hear again “Everything looks normal.”

 

I think back on that day, and remember just being numb – hundreds of thoughts and emotions flooding through me. Relief, fear, sadness, unease, unsure, anger, frustration, disbelief – this last one more than others. I sat there just shaking my head – a smile, even a slight chuckle, at the ridiculousness of yet another health struggle.

 

I know that reaction seems odd, but it almost seemed laughable. I had yet another disease I should not have until much later in life. It almost seemed ridiculous. I remember looking to the ceiling and shaking my head, simply thinking, “Really God. Really. I don’t already have enough? I really need something else?”

 

It was a time that I really did have mixed emotions. I was so relieved to finally know, but so angry, sad, and fearful. Angry at yet another health issues. Sad for more suffering for me and my family. Fearful of what this would do to me and what our future would look like.

 

Now a year later, I still experience many of these things, but I also have hope, for I know who it is that walks with me. There has been no magic wand of healing, but my body is stronger, and I am learning to live with my new normal. This last year has taught me many things, and we have experienced many joys and sorrows. The struggles we have faced have strengthened our family, and reminded us once again of what is truly important.

 

So today, as I remember that fateful day one year ago, I remember not only those 4 little words, but all those 4 little words have taught me over this last year. I am a very different person today, and while I am not glad I have Parkinson’s, I am glad for the perspective it has given me, and that things it has helped me see and understand – things I never saw or understood before.

 

So, Happy Anniversary Parkinson’s Disease. Happy Anniversary – the anniversary I never wanted, but in some ways, thankful that I have.

2 comments:


  1. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,i recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs there help.

    ReplyDelete

"Let It Go" - Why Are You Holding On To That

“Let it go.” – Frozen (every parent’s favorite movie)