Sunday, October 27, 2019

A Life Sentence


I hereby sentence you to life, without the possibility of parole. This is how it felt. When I first heard the diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease, I knew I was being given a life sentence. There would be no “parole”, and the only chance of early release would be death. This new prison I found myself in would be with me the rest of my life, and it felt hopeless.

Being diagnosed with a chronic illness feels this way, yet this life sentence was not just for me, but for my family also. Yes, I was dealing with the pain and the degeneration of my body, but they were dealing with all of the other effects of this disease. It was adding additional burdens to them, and challenges for our family.

Instead of being locked away in a cell, I was locked away in a body that was failing. I was locked away in a body that was slowly degenerating and getting worse. The life sentence my family was facing was in many ways more challenging.

They were watching someone they loved suffer, and were helpless to stop it.
They were limited in what they could do, by the limitations I had.
There were experiences they missed out on, because I could not do them.
They were limited financially because of the expense of my care.
They were isolated because few were walking the same path.

They, like me, were serving a life sentence in a prison they could not change. Yet even in the midst of this prison, in the course and hopelessness of this life sentence, we have a cellmate that will never leave us. This cell mate would serve out the life sentence with us. Only this cellmate could provide a reprieve, and change a life sentence into a life changing experience. He could provide hope.

Psalm 30:11 tells us, “You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have loosed my sackcloth and girded me with gladness.” There is nothing exciting or joyous about a Parkinson’s Diagnosis, or really any struggle. Being a Christian does not mean we skip through life oblivious to pain and sorrow. It does though, mean that our pain and struggles are not the end of the story, It does not have to define us.


Throughout Scripture, we see promise after promise of Christ walking with us, of being our strength, of being our joy, and being our defense. He is with me and my family in this life sentence, and that gives us hope. Lamentations 3:22-23 reminds us, “The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning, great is your faithfulness.”

New every morning – that is His promise to us. Day by Day is the title of this blog, and day by day is how we must walk through these struggles. Whatever path or life sentence you find yourself in, remember He is with you. Trust Him to be your hope and supply day by day.


1 comment:


  1. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,i recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs there help.

    ReplyDelete

"Let It Go" - Why Are You Holding On To That

“Let it go.” – Frozen (every parent’s favorite movie)