Wednesday, December 4, 2019

It Really Is A Wonderful Life

“No man is a failure who has friends."

This year has felt different. I don't know if it is my diagnosis, or simply how my body feels, but this Christmas has a different meaning for me. Maybe it is just my changed perspective, but like George Bailey, I am seeing things differently than I have before. 

Nothing says Christmas quite like the movie It's A Wonderful Life. As a child, I probably watched this movie 100 times every year. It seemed to play on a nonstop loop during the month of December. If you have never seen it (although I do not know how that is possible), it is a touching tale of a man who is discouraged, but with the help of his guardian angel, he sees how his life has impacted others. As the movie ends, he sees that impact as hundreds of people rush to help him in his time of need. 

This year marks the first time in 5 years that I have written anything. I am not sure why I stopped, but I know why I started again. I was challenged this year with the question, "how will your suffering be used?" For me, I have begun writing with the hope of helping others through their struggles. To comfort others out of my pain and struggle and encourage them not to give up. 

This year, I began looking through things I had written previously, and came across a post about this movie that I had written back in 2014. It amazed me how much this year mirrored that year and the experiences I walked through. Below is an exert: 


As many of you know, this year was a difficult one for my health – in April, at 39 years of age, I was told I would be having my 3rd hip replacement. I later also found out I had an infection. In addition to the health problems, finances were tight, stress was placed on my family, I was out of work, and in general, it all was overwhelming. Many times, I felt like I was at the end of my rope.

As I watch It’s A Wonderful Life, it was like I was watching the movie for the first time. I saw and understood George Bailey in a way I never had before. I saw myself in that man – a man so overwhelm that he almost gave up, and then Clarence showed up and his perspective changed. When he returned home, with a different outlook, the second miracle occurred – George saw an outpouring of love and care he had never witnessed. Friends, family, and ordinary people gave and cared for him in an amazing way.

While that closing scene played, tears began streaming down my face as memory after memory flooded back to me from this past year. Memories of people bringing us meals. Memories of gifts that covered every medical bill and then some. Memories of people taking care of housework – cleaning, cutting grass, home repairs. Memories of people praying over me and lifting my family up before him. From cards, visits, gifts, and just caring in every way imaginable, I watched as people surround us, and took care of us in one of our darkest hours and greatest times of need. 

The tears I shed 2 days ago watching that priceless movie were not tears of sorrow, but of overwhelming joy and thankfulness. Thankfulness for the friends and family that surrounded me and my family and cared for us in so many ways. Thankfulness for seeing God use so many to provide for us in an amazing way. Thankfulness for showing true His promise that He would never leave or forsake us.

As I sat, wiping away the tears, so many names came to mind, so many instances that showed His love through the people around me. Was it hard, yes. Do I want to go through it again, not particularly. Were there very discouraging and dark days, absolutely. Is it sometimes still hard, yes. Am I thankful, beyond expression. I saw very clearly – more clearly than I ever have – what George Bailey learned in that wonderful movie, and I was humbled and blessed by so many of you during our need.



As I read over these words from 5 years ago, I realized that once again, I found myself again this year in this same dark place. A place of very little hope, facing a battle I most likely would eventually lose. Many days were a struggle, and there were many times I was weary of the battle. But just like George, I had something very special, something that would give strength as I walked this path. I had friends, family really, who were with me. I had a physical and online community surrounding me and my family and holding us up.

Once again this year, I have seen so many come alongside my family to hold us up, strengthen us, and bless us. These people have provided rays of hope in very dark times, and have given us the strength to keep going just a little while longer. Like George Bailey, I have been reminded that no matter the struggle, there is hope, and there are ones who will always be there to walk with us. We have been reminded of God's love through the community surrounding us.

No matter how dark the days become, or how hard the road is to walk, I have hope, and I have been reminded that even with this terrible disease and all of the struggles that come with it, it really is a "Wonderful Life". My prayer for us all this season, "May God bless you and keep you; and make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you...and give you peace." (Numbers 6:24-26). May you and your family have a wonderful and blessed Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. Ched, I have been catching up with you through your posts! What an amazing comfort and encouragement you are. I face challenges others (even those close to me) will never know, but hearing your heart cry out is amazing. I thank God for the grace He has given you and pray regularly for you in this journey He has you on. Ps 73:25-26

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the encouragement. I cannot see who is posting this, but I am thankful that it is giving you encouragement. I think often we do not share with others how we really are doing, and in the process rob them and ourselves of a blessing and encouragement. Thank you for the prayers - they mean more than you know. Feel free to message me anytime if I can help.

      Delete

  2. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,i recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs there help.

    ReplyDelete

"Let It Go" - Why Are You Holding On To That

“Let it go.” – Frozen (every parent’s favorite movie)