Tuesday, November 5, 2019

...But God


"You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good..." Genesis 50:20


Joseph’s brothers stood before him terrified. He was now the second most powerful man in the world. This was the boy that they had tormented, that they had thrown into a pit, that they had sold into slavery – this was the man that now stood before them. He now held their fate in his hand, just as they had held his.

What would he do? Would he finally have his revenge? Would he torture them, kill them, or simply sell them into slavery? How would this end – what would their fate be?

As Joseph stood before them, he understood something that they did not. When he had been sold into slavery, when he was successful as a servant, when he was falsely accused, when he was thrown into prison, when he was let out of prison and elevated to second in command of Egypt – in each and every situation, in the good and the bad – God was with him.

Joseph understood that there were difficulties in life, but God was with him and had a plan. This is something that I had to remember as I began this new journey in life. Joseph understood that the event was not the destination, it was not the period at the end of the sentence, but merely a comma, a slight pause, before He finished the story.

This is something that I had to realize. My diagnosis was not the end of my story. My struggle did not mean it was over. It simply meant that God’s power and grace and mercy could all the more shine through my life.

I have Parkinson’s disease, but God…
I have arthritis, but God…
I have lost family members, but God…
I have struggled with depression, but God…
I have had three hip replacements, but God…
I am worried about the future, but God…
I am constantly in pain, but God…
I am tired and exhausted, but God...
I cannot keep fighting this, but God...
I see no end, but God...
I have no hope, but God...

You see, But God, changes the statement entirely. Instead of finality, it bestows hope. It reminds us that our current struggle is not the end. It reminds us that while this situation seems dark, there is one there to help us, and strengthen us. He’s there to walk with us, and provide us hope, even when there seems to be none.

If you read the story of Joseph, every time there’s a struggle, Genesis reminds us, “…and the Lord was with Joseph.” Joseph understood that God was with him in the good and the bad. He understood that while struggles were hard, God was with Him. And through his struggles, he was able to bless others.

As I walk this new challenge in life, I must remember the same thing. I have Parkinson’s disease, but God strengthens me. I am discouraged, but God gives me hope. I am sad about this latest struggle, but God gives me compassion and joy. I am tired, but God gives me rest.

What is your “but God” struggle? In what situation of your life do you need to remember this? Each and every day, in every circumstance, I have the choice of where to live. I can live in my circumstances or I can remember “but God” and live in the hope that these two words bring.

Yet this I call to mind
    and therefore I have hope:
Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
    for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion;
    therefore I will wait for him.”
-Lamentations 3:21-24

Remember, no matter how dark or hard the struggle is, He is with you, and He will walk with you. I may feel overwhelmed and alone, but God is with me always, and this simple remembrance brings Hope..

1 comment:


  1. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,i recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs there help.

    ReplyDelete

"Let It Go" - Why Are You Holding On To That

“Let it go.” – Frozen (every parent’s favorite movie)